Instagram

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Toothing

After a busy week at work, I finally have some time again to continue with the project. I've decide to make one prototype first. And because I allready have an 18 ppi saw, I make this one at 14 ppi.

Setup is very simple. Two battens with two clamping screws, and all that clamped in the  machinist vise. A wooden rake block, to help me getting consistent rake angles. And a pattern glued to the edge of my "sawvise". First I give a single stroke for each gullet, then slowly deepen it, all the while watching how the teeth emerge equally.



When the teeth are ready I set them with an Eclipse 77. I modified this one slightly for such small teeth. Grinded the round anvil down a bit to reduce the amount of set, and made the hammer narrower. I mark every other tooth to avoid confusion.


After setting I joint the teeth once again and go for the most perfect teeth I'm capable of. This is the setup I like to use, just one spotlight to get the exact right amount of reflection.


And this what I see. Sharp teeth on the far right, while the teeth on the left are still reflecting light from their flat tops.


And the result, as far as I can capture them with an Iphone.


3 comments:

  1. Kees
    great post! can we find saw plates here in europe? what about the the brass for the back, I know you can find it, but already bended? I saw that you bended it yourself, is that difficult? thanks for your reply

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hai Aymeric. The steel plates I order form a guy in Germany. When you search on ebay.de for 1.1274, you will find him. I can buy brass overhere in Rotterdam from "de metaalwinkel". They can also do some simple things like cutting it to size and bending over 90 degrees. I guess most metal working companies can do this for you. That is helpfull. But it is still not really an easy job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Kees! Wenzloff has a huge selection of steel and brass back (sloted or folded), unfortunately they seem to be out of stock....

    ReplyDelete