Instagram

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Lock continued

Today I got time to do more work on the lock. It's very exiting work, completely different from woodworking of course, but a lot of fun. For more information about these antique locks, have a look on this website.

At work I could make the centre pin on the lathe. That's easier and more accurate then doing all work by filing. I also made a "bridge", a piece of sheetmetal bended into a U-shape where the locks innards are attached.

First I made the wards today. I take a piece of 4mm round steel and file a 3mm post at the end. I use the top of the vise to guide the file. This becomes a rivet.



I drill a hole in the bridge and countersink the outside. This is important, because when I clinch the rivet, the steel must flow into this countersink. Insert the rivet in the bridge and drive it flat with the fin of a hammer.



Turn it over, cut the rivet to length on the inside and shape the stub to a nice ward, an obstruction for the key.



This ward keeps a blank key from rotating, it's part of the security system of the lock.


I made another ward like this on the opposite side, that is in the face plate of the lock. I also made a ward from a piece of steel plate and welded this to the inside of one of the legs of the bridge. As you can probably see, I am an absolute lousy welder! I had to file a lot to make it passable.



With the centrepin also welded to the bridge and the whole bridge with wards riveted to the face plate it looks like this. As you can see I have filed the slots in the key bit so it can circumnavigate the wards.


So far the security system of this lock. You can probably guess that this isn't the most secure lock in the world. All these warded locks are pretty easy to pick. But for me it doesn't really matter, it's just a lot of fun.

Next job is the bolt and the ports to guide it.

No comments:

Post a Comment