Monday, March 4, 2013

The leg part of the bridle joint

After I cut the rails to receive the legs, now I have to cut the legs so they fit the sockets in the rails. I would like them to be a tight fit, because a sloppy fit shows up. In fact, joints like these are hard to cut without any gaps showing. Of course, if I make too much of a mess, I can always fill the gaps with epoxy and wooddust.

After marking out the cut I have to saw to the lines. Always saw the line you can see, so first one side and the top with the board angled in the vise. I cut a triangle in the wood, so to speak.

Then turn the board around, put it vertically and saw down along the line. The saw is now guided by the previous cut, so it will turn out rather precise all the way through.

And then drilling out the waste between the two saw kerfs.

The rest is chisel work. Cutting a flat bottom. And because I aimed for a very tight fit, I will have to pare the surfaces a bit to make it fit.

I forgot to take a picture of the result, so that will have to wait for the next time.


  1. Hello. Who made the tenon saw shown in the pictures. She's a beauty.

  2. That has been me (he said, rather proudly),